Dementia Lab: the Role of Design, taking place 14-15 September 2016, Essen, Germany. As the event is supported by the Robert Bosch Stiftung, the cost to attend is free, however reserving your place in advance is necessary.
- Design educators of all disciplines, design researchers and designers are invited to attend this two-day event on designing together with people with dementia.
- Design in all of its forms, from graphic and product design to industrial design and interactions, is putting more focus on becoming socially meaningful. One way that design is responding to this is by working with the growing need of the elderly population and specifically those with dementia. Central to this is the question on how to include the person with dementia their family and (in)formal caregivers in the design process.
- In this two day event we invite design educators, designers and researchers to come and be inspired about how to work with people with dementia in their own practice. Next to that, we invite those who have experience in setting up design courses or research projects on designing for and together with persons with dementia to bring to the table their own failed and successful approaches.
- The two-day event will focus on three central issues:
- how to facilitate design education focusing on (participatory) designing for persons with dementia,
- the challenge for design students, practitioners and researchers to involve persons with dementia in the design process,
- reflections on the ways in which working with individuals with dementia impacts a designer’s current and future way of working.
The Design & Emotion 2016 pre-conference workshop: ‘Design for our future self: Exploring new ways to give ‘voice’ to the users’ needs within the context of dementia‘ will be held at the Waag Society in Amsterdam on 27th September 2016.
Alzheimer Europe Annual Conference taking place on 31 October – 2 November 2016 in Copenhagen, Denmark. Abstract submission is open until 30 April 2016.
INTERDEM Academy Masterclass (side event of the Alzheimer Europe Annual Conference) taking place on 1st November 2016 under the theme of “Involving people with dementia as advisors to your research”
The Housing and Dementia Research Consortium (HDRC) and the Association of Dementia Studies (ADS) would like to invite you to the HDRC Annual Knowledge and Learning Exchange Event 2016 on 10th November, 10am-3.40pm. The title of this 1-day event is “ Creating dementia friendly environments in housing and care settings – challenges and opportunities” and it will focus on dementia-friendly building and environment design in the housing sector.
Sessions will cover:
- key issues in extra care housing emerging from current research and practice
- new concepts in design and build
- how environmental design can enable innovation in care and support.
For this year’s event we have teamed up with the Association for Dementia Studies, Worcester University, and have secured a wide range of speakers from housing providers, academic, architectural design and third sector organisations. There will also be the opportunity for delegates to debate the issues raised and to influence the work of the HDRC over the next year. Register for this event. Your booking will be confirmed when payment of the £30 booking fee is made/invoiced. Refreshments and lunch are included.
MindTech Annual Symposium, taking place on 8 December 2016 in London, UK.
10th International Conference on Frontotemporal Dementias, taking place August 31-September 2, 2016 Munich, Germany. Abstract submission open via the online submission system by the deadline of March 31, 2016 (23:59, CET).